Monday, September 12, 2011

Digital Fish painting breakdown

So our first assignment in Digital painting class was to paint a fish...easy enough right? Wrong!
I started off painting a flounder, the fish with both eyes on one side, and that was an epic failure, and 3 hours I'll never get back.
So I started to paint this tropical fish, I forget the technical name, but it's the same fish Dory was in Finding Nemo.
I started with the usual, line arts to flats, and a threw in some rough shading. I noticed the fish looked like it had freckles so I had to add those to the nose area. And for the teeth I made them more human like because I thought it was cuter and I didn't want to go for realism too too much for my fishy.
Then when it came to the scales, in a separate file I made about ten up in a template and masked them over my fish. Then I realized that looked awful, so I painted new shading and lighting over each one...aka hours of work just for the scales. So them I continued throwing in multiplay layers and screen layers to finish him off, including the fins. And I threw in a quick background and blurred it to focus more on my fishy.

No comments:

Post a Comment